Re: A man of mud Re: Academics who actively support Young Earth Creationism

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 12:06:22 EST

    Whether or not George is a "literalist " is irrelevant. He is trying to
    emphasis the need for a detailed study and exegesis of the text - any text -
    before we can understand what it means.

    Walter, what on earth (pun) is a dust man? (Overhere a dustman is a garbage
    collector!) It is chemical nonsense to imagine God scooped up some dust,
    added a drop of water and formed a ginger-bread man like morph and then blew
    the breath of life into it. (Staight out of Bernard Ramm that).

    Before we start trying to ascribe inerrancy to be bible we should show our
    devotion to it by studying it very carefully and use every normal means of
    interpretation to understand. That starts with a careful understanding of
    the words, then the syntax etc

    Michael

    > Walter Hicks wrote:
    >
    > > George Murphy wrote:
    > >

    > > > I'll repeat something that I said in an exchange here a few
    weeks ago. One
    > > > should be a "biblical literalist" in the sense of taking the precise
    letters & words of
    > > > scripture seriously.
    > >
    > > How can one accept that, George? You would expect that the Bible should
    specify the exact
    > > chemical composition of a man --- other wise it becomes an excuse to:
    > >
    > > > But one should _not_ be one in the sense of assuming that all the
    > > > texts of scripture are to be read as accurate historical narratives.
    > >
    > > As the only alternative?
    > >
    > > Sounds like a set-up to me ---- just a hokey way to turn everything into
    a non literal
    > > interpretation.
    >
    > You have not understood what I said. Let me back up. In order to
    understand ANY text you
    > first have to read it with care and pay attention to what it says. That
    is the case whether
    > the text in question is Genesis 2, a sura from the Qur'an, The Origin of
    Species, or The