Re: A man of mud Re: Academics who actively support Young Earth Creationism

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 13:36:41 EST

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:42:32 -0500 Walter Hicks
    <wallyshoes@mindspring.com> writes:

    > George Murphy wrote:
    >

    > > I'll repeat something that I said in an exchange here a
    > few weeks ago. One
    > > should be a "biblical literalist" in the sense of taking the
    > precise letters & words of
    > > scripture seriously.
    >
    > How can one accept that, George? You would expect that the Bible
    > should specify the exact
    > chemical composition of a man --- other wise it becomes an excuse
    > to:
    >
    > > But one should _not_ be one in the sense of assuming that all the
    > > texts of scripture are to be read as accurate historical
    > narratives.
    >
    > As the only alternative?
    >
    > Sounds like a set-up to me ---- just a hokey way to turn everything
    > into a non literal
    > interpretation.
    >
    > Walt

    May I suggest that the confessions coming from the Reformation and the
    time immediately following, if they mentioned scripture, specified that
    its truth is for faith and practice, or that it tells us all that we need
    to know for our salvation. This is classical protestant orthodoxy. To
    claim more for biblical interpretation (and for God's sake don't contrast
    Genesis 1 and 2, and don't recognize that the church fathers figured out
    that days can't be literal) then has to be heterodox.

    Of course, if you want to be exactly correct, the King James Version is
    THE inspired Word and unconditionally authoritative for history, science,
    mathematics, and every other study. Any departure therefrom condemns one
    to hell--the hokey way to perdition.
    Dave