Re: Evolutionary Theory: It doesn't work yet!

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 08:33:24 EST

    Dawsonzhu@aol.com wrote:

    > Walter Hicks wrote:
    >

    >> I can say as others have said to me: If you
    >> want to understand GA, you need to get a book
    >> and read it.
    >>

    > Fair enough, so why not suggest a leading book
    > on the subject so
    > we can all decide for ourselves if there is
    > something significant in
    > this or not.

    Hi Wayne,

    GA is a method that applies what is the output
    (models) from your area of expertise to other
    disciplines. Which book is good is a function of
    what you intend to use it for. In your case, it is
    evolution itself (I think). In that case, your
    following text agrees with the subject line of
    this post. (i.e. evolutionary theory does not yet
    work.) It is a "work in progress" and that is fine
    with me.

    I have been involved with GA being applied to one
    specific area. In one situation, where the problem
    was simple and the answer was known, GA converged
    to the correct answer. In more complicated
    situations, where multiple approximate answers
    were available, it did only moderately well and
    other approaches had to finish the job.

    For a GA reference in a given field, I would say:

    1.) All God's children (on this list) have Google.

    2.) Amazon.com probably has every book (913)
    available on the subject -- chose your field.

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>