Re: triage (was Re: YEC Lecture notes -- part 2)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 15:00:16 EDT

    John W Burgeson wrote:

    > George wrote, in part: " As with other situations in which there are
    > limited resources, this can be
    > dealt with on a triage basis.
    >
    > On my web site is this quotation:
    >
    > Edmund Burke: "Nobody makes a greater mistake than the person who does
    > nothing because only a little can be done."
    >
    > I think where we agree is that there are places we can have an effect.
    >
    > I think where we disagree is where some of those places might be.
    >
    > I don't have any problem with that. There are no hopeless cases with God.
    > Therefore, your triage concept is unpersuasive, although I do understand
    > it.
    >
    > I think you think my attendance at the Sebeny seminar, and my consequent
    > publishing of my notes and comments on this (and other) lists, and the
    > ensuing discussions, is a case of tilting at a windmill. You may be
    > right. And it may be that, in the final accounting, it will have no
    > effect at all. But I don't know that.
    >
    > I do know that my web site has received a decent influx of visitors in
    > the past week, so somebody is noticing.

            Triage doesn't mean doing nothing, but doing what is possible with the resources
    available. If you expend resources on a Category 1 patient befoere taking care of all
    the 2s, you have a good chance of losing both. If you first treat all the 2s then
    they'll probably survive & you may then have a chance of saving some 1s.

            Yes, you may have some effect on hard core YECs. But the same time & energy is
    likely to have more of an effect with category 2 folks. & you & I have only finite
    resources. There are no hopeless cases with God because God's resources aren't limited
    (except for process theologians).

                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy