Re: triage (was Re: YEC Lecture notes -- part 2)

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 12:00:02 EDT

    George wrote: "Triage doesn't mean doing nothing, but doing what is
    possible with the resources
    available. If you expend resources on a Category 1 patient before taking
    care of all
    the 2s, you have a good chance of losing both. If you first treat all
    the 2s then
    they'll probably survive & you may then have a chance of saving some 1s.
    "

    Like I said, George, I understand the triage concept.

    My point is simple -- if one suspects (as I do) that one cannot reliably
    distinguish between categories 1, 2 and 3, then the concept is not very
    helpful. It is also not very helpful when one has only 1s to treat! <G>

    You seem to be fairly certain you can make that judgement with some
    reliability. You may be right. I do not claim that expertise.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!