Bombey

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 18:09:48 EDT

    I was asked off line what I meant by "Bombey." I appreciate Jan's
    admonition to define new terms; my apologies.

    Bombey (or Bomby) is the story of the Bombardier beetle. It was a YEC
    mainstay GOG (God of the Gaps) argument 20 or 30 years ago. Duane Gish
    started it, when he mistranslated a German text. It is a typical GOG
    argument; Bombey mixes two chemicals together to squirt an acid spray at
    a hungry predator. No way known to "evolve" to that specific biological
    technology -- ergo special creation. I think Gish quit using it after
    getting embarrassed at a debate -- but ICR keeps on publishing a child's
    version anyway.

    Which seems dishonest to me. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

    Such actions are a large part of why ICR is called the "Liars for Jesus"
    organization on my Compuserve forum.

    BTW -- the sect which espoused the idea that Jesus & Mary Mag were
    married and had kids together was, I think, the Cathars. Their name in
    French is probably something similar to that.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!