Re: Bombey

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 19:57:34 EDT

    Hi, Burgy,

        The Cathars were also known as the Albigensians, after the city of Albi
    in southern France, then the independent Kingdom of Provence, which was one
    of their chief cities. A French army with papal blessing went after these
    Gnostic/Manichaean Chrisitans in the early 13th century. In the early 14th
    c. Jacques Fournier, Bishop of Paniers, decided to hold an inquisition to
    stamp out the Cathars in the French Pyrenees village of Montaillou. The
    surviving records of the inquisition provided much of the data for a
    fascinating study of this village by French historian Emmanuel LeRoy
    Ladurie: _Montaillou. The Promised Land of Error_. Ladurie is of the
    "annales" school of French medieval historians; they studied the lives of
    ordinary people, looked at history from the bottom up. This book is a
    fascinating read, which I recommend to you and others.

    Bob