RE: Capuchin's show sense of justice/fair play

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 07:18:31 EDT

    Hi Richard,

    You have illustrated perfectly the case laid out by Stephen Meyer today in
    the paper. He wrote:
    "Cynical old lawyers have a maxim: When you have the facts on your side,
    argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When
    neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the
    opposition." Stephen C. Meyer, "Textbook Debate: It's All About the
    Evidence," Houston Chronicle Sept 19, 2003, p. 35A

    There is little of substance in your note to reply to. You asked:
    >But as far as your rebuttal is concerned, how's this for "inconsistent":
    >
    >"Nothing is self-evident."
    >
    >How do you know this is true - the absolute truth - if it's not
    >self-evident?
    >
    >This is more than inconsistent. It is an absolute contradiction since it
    >proves the very notion of self evidence. You say "I am most certainly NOT a
    >relativist". How do you know this, if you reject self evidence?

    I will rephrase what I said above. I have never seen anything that is
    self-evident, thus I don't beleive any such thing exists. If you would take
    more philosophy, you would find that absolutely nothing is unquestionable.
    Try reading David Hume. Because there is no item which is 'self-evident' in
    the sense that absolutely no one can question it, your pleas that people
    should accept your view fall on deaf ears here.

    IF something is self-evident, and that is a big if, then it is in the
    logical form of an assumption. You are saying that everyone should accept
    your assumption simply because you think something is self-evident doesn't
    put it above question.It is not an inconsistency to note that everything can
    be questioned.

    But, if you chose to respond to this note, why don't you drop the
    name-calling and deal with these things in a substantive and intellectually
    satisfying manner. Calling me a relativist doesn't seem like a very cogent
    intellectual argument. Seems kind of childish.

    You didn't even address the problem of humans who lack conciences and thus
    have no 'sense of justice' for others. Thus it is not 'self-evident' that
    humans have a sense of justice'.