Re: Fragility and tendentiousness

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 15:00:13 EDT

    I'm merely suggesting that the Wilkinson book is a
    good resource that covers the topic rather than
    belabor the point and clutter up the list with long
    posts that are primarily theological. But since you
    want to, I apologize for the rambling that follows
    since I am sitting here waiting for the hurricane to
    roll in... but here are my semi-organized thoughts on
    the topic.

    Your thesis is one that is commonly trotted out by
    folks like Sagan and certainly Paul Davies as some
    amazing difficulty that will leave traditional
    religion banging its head saying "oh! how can we deal
    with this!" Davies' Are We Alone is particularly bad
    in this regard and it only shows his ignorance of
    christian theology.

    Usually, as with Davies, ETs are thought to create
    problems for the traditional christian view in regard
    to:

    1. humanity's "special" relationship with God,
    2. the significance of the life and death of jesus,

    First, how are ETs a problem? I assume from your
    thought experience, bacteria on Mars, if such exist,
    are not a problem for you. Of course, such life is
    really no different than bacteria on earth or the
    whole range of animals, plants, etc. on planet earth.

    If we presuppose the existence of an advanced,
    sentient, self-conscious alien life form, how is that
    problematic? In the seventeenth century there was
    endless speculation about such forms of life, without
    much theological worry or worry about the relationship
    of humanity to God. It is not scriptural to assert
    that human beings are the only beings with which God
    has a relationship or that humans are the center of
    the universe... to the extent that that idea ever held
    much sway it was due to Aristoteleanism and that made
    humans the literal center, which is different than the
    most important part -- indeed the spheres were closer
    to "perfection" than earth in a lot of Aristotelean
    thought...

    The special relationship to God for humans, as opposed
    to other life on the planet, stems from the idea of
    humans being in the Image of God which has several
    interpretations and is tangential to this discussion
    since we will assume later that ETs share these same
    characteristics. None of them make humanity the
    measure of all things. To the contrary, the biblical
    view is that God is the center of all things and we,
    as well as other ETs, are part of creation that
    reflect God's glory.

    So, the crux of the problem for you seems to be the
    idea of a highly advanced religious system and whether
    this somehow vitiates the significance of Jesus' life,
    death and resurrection.

    There are two different ways christian thinkers have
    addressed this topic of the significance of Jesus: 1.
    once for all and 2. relationship of God to other
    worlds. Regardless, it is the second person of the
    trinity in relation to all the cosmos.

    You seem to take a simplified once for all argument to
    say that Jesus would be ineffective if aliens have
    some sort of "advanced" religious system. I dont see
    that the two go together at all.

    The once for all view says that God's incarnation in
    Jesus is the one event in the whole universe where God
    reveals Himself most fully. First, I dont see that
    this is more of a problem for ETs than it is for
    anyone other than a 1st century person living in
    Palestine, since no one else gets to meet Jesus
    personally, and only precious few 1st century people
    living in Palestine did. So, ETs provide a writ large
    question of what about other religions, etc. Missions
    to the stars seem of little difference to me than
    missionary work here on earth. So how is your problem
    any different than missionary work and other religions
    on earth?

    The other relationship to Gods on other worlds view is
    one that has been suggested by theologians like E.L.
    Mascall in his 1956 Bampton Lectures. He believed
    that if there were other parts of the universe where
    rational beings have sinned and are in need of
    redemption (something that your fragility seems to
    assume) that the second person of the Trinity either
    has or will some day unite his divine Person to their
    nature as occured in Jesus of Nazareth.

    Why does the possibility of multiple incarnations make
    Jesus less important? That is, it seems to me (and I
    am not taking one of these positions over the other),
    exactly the same kind of antropocentric thing that you
    are claiming makes christianity fragile. Thus, your
    argument is only correct based on your presumptions
    which beg the question.

    The deeper theological issues would appear to be:

    1. The nature of the relationship between Jesus of
    Nazareth as completely human and Jesus who is the
    eternal Word of God -- this has been a subject of
    christological reflection, unbidden by positing ETs,
    for over two millenia. If the significance of Jesus
    the man, is that He was also the Incarnation of the
    Word of God, then it is the Word of God, the Second
    Person of the Trinity that is important in that
    respect, and incarnation elsewhere is unproblematic
    because, in this view, Jesus of Nazareth is God
    revealing Himself to us as what *human beings* are
    meant to be, and how we can be reconciled with God and
    the nature he intends for us. In this view, the
    Incarnation of Jesus is not the whole story of what
    the second person of the Trinity is all about nor what
    He does. One would expect God to care about and show
    interest in other worlds and other sentient life and
    relate to them just as He cares about the fall of
    sparrows -- whether that relationshipe requires
    Incarnation is something to which scripture is silent
    and is largely immaterial.

    Another way of looking at this is that what God
    reveals in and through Jesus of Nazareth is central to
    who God is and thus incarnation and salvation are
    universally central to God's relationship to his
    creation.

    Of course, all this presupposes that aliens sin, which
    is another assumption you seem to have. Does
    salvation have to be linked to incarnation or are
    their other ways that God accomplishes salvation?

    Humans have fallen in some sense and need both
    revelation and salvation -- there is no way to assume
    that such is the case with aliens.

    To add something that seems implicit in your thought
    experiment, but is not explicated as such, Davies sees
    the problem that some religions will be further down
    the road than christianity -- i.e., that religious
    ideas, like scientific ones advance and progress and
    become better. Both statements are in a sense
    incorrect, but especially so for religion. Again,
    Davies shows his ignorance of religion in that he
    without a word tosses out revelation. In the
    traditional christian view, humans don't need *better*
    religion, they need reconciliation with God that they
    cannot achieve themselves. God achieves this
    reconciliation and God reveals himself to us in ways
    that we can understand. Such a view, unlike Davies'
    idea of progress in understanding spirituality,
    recognizes the limits of the human mind for
    understanding and relating to God.

    Indeed, while there is no reason to presume that
    humans might not learn new things about God from
    meeting ETs, the ETs would also learn new things about
    God from humans. I do not see a problem with this.
    They may well have good news to share with us. We
    certainly would have good news to share with them.

    === message truncated ===