RE: Post-Empiricism Science: A little surprised

From: Alexanian, Moorad (alexanian@uncw.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 14:59:11 EDT

    The distinction between the theories of Ptolemy and Copernicus was not merely aesthetic. Simplicity plays a major role. The behavior of a double pendulum can be predicted, the equations are deterministic. However, long-range predictions are difficult to obtain but can be obtained in principle---deterministic chaos.

    Cosmology is akin to forensic science. It is more deductive than inductive. Just like evolutionary theory but unlike physics, which is an experimental science. Of course, cosmologists do use all that physicists can provide but there is more to it since one is dealing with a unique event.

    Moorad