Re: Fragility and tendentiousness

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 13:44:39 EDT

    It only becomes ridiculous when one makes tendentious
    arguments and presupposes, inter alia, that all
    sentient species require redemption in the exact same
    manner as the Christian proclamation about the life,
    death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.
    Something which I did not assert in my comments.

    Maybe a good entry level primer of the issues (and
    non-issues) ETs present would be David Wilkinson's
    _Alone in the Universe?: The X-Files, Aliens and God_.
     It covers many different topics at a very
    introductory level. This is one of those topics, and,
    if I recall correctly, he does a fairly decent job of
    dealing with both what scripture has to say about this
    and what traditional christology has to say. Needless
    to say, he -- like I -- would disagree with a lot of
    your assumptions and certainly with your conclusions.