Re: ICR/AIG claims

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret (lfreeman@mbc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 14:55:47 EDT

    The AiG website has an essay by Gish that says "Yes, one can be a Christian
    and an evolutionist, but such a position is both scientifically and
    biblically untenable. The Lord Jesus took a literal view of Genesis. The
    theory of evolution is dishonouring to God as Creator, and its teaching
    leads to a disastrous secularizing of society."

    Complete essay is here:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/1152.asp

    Also, from Ken Ham at ICR. "Theistic evolution is a compromise position
    that destroys the foundations of the Gospel message and ultimately leads to
    the destruction of the Christian worldview. It is nothing more than the
    pagan theory of evolution with God added."

    This essay goes on to specifically speak against OEC views in the next
    paragraph.

    For the complete statement, in context, see:
    http://www.icr.org/pubs/btg-a/btg-003a.htm

    So, statement (1) may be technically true, it is misleading. Statement (2)
    seems to be a half-truth at best.

    I am reminded of the old Saturday Night Live "Tounces, the Driving Cat"
    sketch... "Oh yeah, he can *drive,* just not very *well*..." as car, feline
    and passengers plunge over the cliff to certain death.

    The clear message is: "Oh yes, non-YEC's can be Christian. They are just
    those types of Christians who disagree with Jesus, dishonor God, accept
    scientifically untenable pagan theories, destroy the fondations of the
    Gospel, threaten the Christian worldview and lead society to descrution."

    __
    Louise M. Freeman, PhD
    Psychology Dept
    Mary Baldwin College