RE: Time

From: Brian Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 14:49:53 EDT

    At 10:05 AM 9/8/2003 -0700, Dr. Blake Nelson wrote:
    >many worlds hypothesis -- of course there are several
    >MWHs, which is why talking about them generally is not
    >necessarily fruitful. They all as far as I am aware
    >explain the apparent fine tuning of the universe by
    >positing that this is one of many universes.

    This is not really the case, though often claimed.

    Take a look in a good reference on the anthropic
    principle for an explanation. I can recommend
    <Universes> by John Leslie, Routledge 1989

    The gist is this. To explain fine-tuning you need
    the anthropic selection argument: "I shouldn't be
    too surprised to find myself in this finely tuned
    Universe, where else could I be?"

    This requires the many worlds to actually exist,
    to be causally disconnected, and to have different
    laws, physical constants etc.

    Look at it this way, if you are going to select then
    there must be something to select from. If all the
    universes have the same laws etc then there is
    nothing to select from.

    Everett does not satisfy these conditions.