Re: The Problem of Good

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 14:11:22 EDT

    Tom,

    &
    > These two issues reinforce each other. If evil is a *necessary* feature
    of
    > human existence, it suggests that God could not eliminate evil in order to
    > produce good. We then have a "logical problem of good" that parallels the
    > traditional "logical problem of evil" that has been largely put to rest by
    > Alvin Plantinga. But this "logical problem of good" is not so easily
    > dispelled. For instance, if evil is simply a contingent feature of human
    > existence -- if evil just happens to show up at regular intervals in our
    > life -- then we could reasonably ask why God doesn't just remove this
    > annoyance. But if evil is a necessary aspect of our existence, then it
    > appears God could not have done otherwise but to weave evil into the
    fabric
    > of creation; God had no choice, since evil is a logical necessity. In
    this
    > case, evil becomes a "necessary good." But that means God is impotent to
    > craft his creation as he might see fit; God's will is constrained by
    > logical necessity.

    I think there is a subtle but important difference in what I am saying. I
    did not say that *evil* was necessary to discern good or even that evil is
    *necessary* for there to be good. What I said was that in order for there
    to be what we value as good, there seems a necessity for a structure of life
    where there is a *potential* for evil. Most people go through life enjoying
    eating without having to face starvation, but the structure of hunger is
    such that there is a potential for starvation(evil). One could stipulate a
    world that God created that had the eternal potential for evil but evil
    never happened. Is this what is meant by heaven?

    > The second problem is that this position
    > significantly reduces omnipotence as an attribute of God.

    Not unless one rejects the idea of kenosis. What if a structure of life
    with a *potential* for evil is a good thing? If God chooses to create such
    a world(which God obviously did) then no omnipotence is lost and the
    structure of life is affirmed.

    > why would God set up a system that
    > requires genuine evil in order to grasp the good?

    Reasonable question except for my point about "the potential for evil".
    Following that question I think a reasonable request would be to ask for a
    counterexample, some theory of a structure of existence that we would call
    good without the potential for evil.

    Regards,
    Steve Petermann