Re: lame creation concepts

From: Brian Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 12:54:11 EDT

    At 11:07 AM 9/4/2003 -0400, Ted Davis wrote:

    [...]

    >But over the years George has convinced me of the fundamental truth of what
    >he is saying about the incarnation being the supreme revelation of God to
    >us. This cannot be seen as Lutheran in any narrow sense, it's been affirmed
    >since early in church history. Indeed, I'm told that many of the "fathers"
    >regarded the incarnation (rather than the resurrection or the creation, for
    >example) as the supreme miracle. Asa Gray, hardly a Lutheran, took the same
    >position in 1880 when speaking on "Natural Science and Religion." Many
    >Anabaptists (who like to avoid using "creeds" and other traditional ways of
    >expressing theological beliefs) implicitly accept this also, since they see
    >Christ as shown in the gospels as taking precedence over all the rest of
    >scripture, OT and NT alike.

    Thanks for a wonderful post Ted.
    I just wanted to support this by quoting
    a line from the Baptist Faith and Message
    (Southern Baptist)

    "The criterion by which the Bible is to be interpreted
    is Jesus Christ,..."

    Unfortunately, the conservatives have seen fit to
    remove this statement. It shocked me at the time
    because I could not imagine how anyone could
    possibly object to it.

    Brian Harper