clarification request from Re: Van Till's Ultimate Gap

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 12:57:21 EDT

    >Griffin begins with a listing of "Primary Doctrines of the Christian Good News," which he affirms. The first on that list is:
    >"1. Our world has been created by a good, loving, wise, purposive God. This part of the Christian good news stands in contrast with doctrines that have maintained that our world was not created at all but has existed eternally...

    >"3. The Major Distortion: Creatio ex Nihilo"

    I am a little confused: if the world has not existed eternally, this sounds like a creation ex nihlo event occurred at some point. Does the world, in Griffith's usage under point 1, imply some properties of its modern state, so that he envisions something akin to the idea of creating out of a pre-existing chaos?

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        University of Alabama
        Biodiversity & Systematics