Re: Creativity, genius and the science/faith interface

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 16:13:32 EDT

    D.F. Siemens wrote (in part):

    > What I've read of the interchange on genius seems to overlook central
    > tendency. Breeding outliers does not normally extend the range.

    I think this is the very point I'm trying to make. These "outliers" have
    the effect of enriching our lives, be it with beautiful music or wonderful
    inventions (e.g. would be be having this conversation over the internet if
    it were not for the brilliance of the tragic genius Alan Turing?)

    But their own lives and their own genes maybe don't have as good a chance of
    being propagated as someone who is ordinary and "dull" (which as the Larkin
    poem I cited suggests may be a key to happiness).

    So, back to the straight religious question; is "genius" a gift from God?
    Is it a curse? I regard Mozart's music as a gift for which I'm grateful;
    the way it resonates with ones mind (it has been said that Mozart has
    soothing and healing properties); and the extraordinary ability it has to
    carry you along in its flow - almost as if you were creating the music
    inside your own head. But was this "gift" a gift for Mozart himself? Is
    there an element here of suffering to bring happiness (salvation) to others;
    eg Elgar's music uplifting others, but not himself. Shostakovich once said
    that even if they cut off his hands he would continue to write music, if
    necessary holding the pen in his mouth. It was his mission; his destiny in
    life to compose music; and in doing so, many found temporary release from
    the appalling business of living under Stalin. I just wonder if there isn't
    something a bit Christ-like in all this.

    Iain