Re: Creativity, genius and the science/faith interface

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 15:07:16 EDT

    What I've read of the interchange on genius seems to overlook central
    tendency. Breeding outliers does not normally extend the range.

    "Freaks" is an unfortunate term, though it is synonymous with the
    technical "abnormal." Using the definition of "normal" as whatever is
    within one standard deviation of the mean, high school graduation is now
    normal, though, if my memory serves, it was not in 1900. As to
    intelligence, on many scales, IQs above 120 and below 80 are abnormal.
    Unfortunately, to say that the membership of ASA are abnormal would not
    convey this to the general population.

    There is also much sense in Edison's claim that genius is 1% inspiration
    and 99% perspiration. The persons whom we recognize as geniuses in
    various fields are usually obsessive. Painters paint. Composers compose.
    Authors write. Sometimes it's nose to the grindstone, have to get so much
    done each day. Other times they completely lose track of everything but
    their work. This does not tend to make them highly desirable mates.
    Recently a few women getting MBAs at Harvard Business School said the
    information scared men away. It is not just genius that reduces
    reproductive success, competence may be adequate.

    I have observed that very talented people are sensitive to stimuli the
    masses totally miss. In many cases, it places an extreme strain on them.
    I recall hearing of a child with perfect pitch who could not stand hinges
    that did not creak on key. I think this explains many of the problems of
    gifted individuals that have been cited. This seems to hold in other
    areas as well. Researchers recently claimed that victims of Krohn's
    disease were hypersensitive to pain. Extreme awareness can be noxious, so
    stressful that mental stability is affected.

    There are certainly many other factors that enter into consideration,
    like concern for college expenses among "successful" people that is not
    evident among those of lower socioeconomic status. None of these should
    be neglected.
    Dave