Re: different thread

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 13:44:29 EDT

    The point is well-taken Biblically, and as I
    understand it in the mindset of ancient Hebrews re
    causality.

    For example, John the Baptist preached not in order to
    bring about the coming of the Messiah (our forward
    thinking view of causality), but because Jesus was
    coming to preach in the future (reverse causality).
    In other words, because the future event -- Jesus as
    the Messiah -- was going to happen, the past event,
    John preaching, occured.

    Did I state that in a way that made sense?

    So, I think Walter is correct in that we may conceive
    of causality in a different way in order to deal with
    the issue. I have not thought about whether I agree
    with this particular application, i.e., entropy and
    death from the get-go of the universe was due to the
    future Fall of Adam, but I think that the same
    reverse-causal thought existed in the ancient Hebrew
    mindset (please correct me if I am wrong here,
    someone) and there is at least one clear New Testament
    example of this "reverse-causality" (there may be more
    examples in the Bible, I have not thought about it).

    http://www.eerdmans.com/shop/product.asp?p_key=0802805124