A "God" Part of the Brain?

From: EckertWAIII@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 22:11:41 EDT

    Does anyone have any thoughts on the strengths or weaknesses of the
    hypothesis that there is an area of the brain that causes most/many humans to believe
    in God and to have spiritual experiences?

    I've read the books, "The 'God' Part of the Brain" and also "Why God Won't Go
    Away: Brain Science & The Biology of Belief" and the hypothesis sounds
    compelling. In "The 'God' Part of the Brain", the author suggests that such an area
    of the brain predisposing people to God supports the notion that no
    mind-independent God exists. However, in "Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science & The
    Biology of Belief", the authors leave the question open and even seem to lean
    somewhat toward the notion that the existence of such a brain area may provide
    evidence that God does exist and, among all of the animal life on Earth, has
    hard-wired human beings alone to be aware of His existence and to be able to
    experience Him directly.

    Personally, I am open to the possibility though still skeptical. I am just
    starting an intensive literature study of this question which, for me as a
    neuroscientist, is a very fascinating place of intersection between science and
    religion/faith.

    -Bill

    --
    William A. Eckert III, Ph.D.