Re: Sin?

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 09:57:26 EDT

    Rich, remarkably, wrote: "The "Bible" specifically prohibits
    homosexuality"

    If you understand the word "homosexuality" to mean the commission of a
    specific act, I agree. With such a broad definition, of course, one must
    accept the word "heterosexuality" in the same way, and so, neither you
    nor I were "heterosexual" until our first sexual experience with a
    female. I suggest that if you had suggested that to me as a young man, I
    would have had a little trouble with it.

    "Homosexuality" is one of those words, like "evolution," which, when
    used without due care, can convey meanings not meant by the writer. That
    is why I spend some time laying out the definitions that homosexuality,
    like heterosexuality, is a condition, an orientation, and does not
    properly refer to specific acts. I know you have cited a dictionary which
    has specific acts as the second definition. But dictionaries are a record
    of word usage, nothing more, and, in this case, the definition may be a
    bit out of date.

    But in citing the dictionary (when published?) you do make a valid point,
    and popular usage is not altogether to be ignored. That is why Bacon once
    observed that "when learned persons differ, it is nearly always because
    they do not agree on one or more word meanings." (paraphrased).

    Peace

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!