RE: The Diatribe

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 12:26:58 EDT

    Glenn,

    "If ID is in the real world, can you point me to one article in a scientific
    journal which makes use of CSI to infer design? Just one. That is all I
    ask."

    -My wife often tells me things that are unpublished. Does that make her
    statements not a part of the real world?

    "Specificity, is like semantical meaning. It is only of value in a given
    context. 'Gift' is a very special thing in the English language. But in
    German, you don't want one, thank you very much. It means 'poison'.
    Similarly, biological specificity is nothing more or less than the three
    dimensional fit of two molecules. (See Lowestein, The Touchstone of LIfe,
    pp.61-78). Such fits can be evolved via trial and error."

    -Here, you've simply dogmatically declared the answer to the question
    without reference to any mechanism. This won't do.

    "I don't see the point. I acknowledge specificity what I don't acknowledge
    is that one can take an unknown sequence and tell me whether or not it is
    specified, or designed."

    -You've been hammering away at an unknown gobbledygook message you generated
    and demanding someone decode them using a CSI technique. Fine, I concede
    that there are limitations to Dembski's tool. However, since you have
    acknowledged that we can identify biological specifications, we don't have
    to ever worry about applying the technique to unknown sequences in order to
    determine if biological information requires ID for its derivation. If
    Dembski wants to get involved in SETI, he's going to have to get better at
    finding specifications.

    "J: The question isn't whether targets are specified, or whether arrows have
    hit a certain mark.

    G: Someone had better tell Dembski this. Arrows hitting the mark is his
    analogy. I am glad that we agree on something other than movies."

    -Did you understand that I am saying that because we already know this is
    true for biology?

    "I will agree partly with this. And I would cite the work of Gerald Joyce,
    Jack Szotak and others in the field of RNA synthesis. They are finding that
    if they want to evolve RNA to perform a particular function, they can take a
    vat of random RNAs, holding 10^13 or 10^14 RNAs and find a molecule which
    will perform whatever function they want. That means that the target is not
    10^-150, but 10^-13. That means that if you allow the creation of one RNA
    molecule every second, it would only take 317,000 years to find a solution.
    These vats are able to purify highly efficient RNA enzymes within a few
    months. The tarket is quite big. Remember, one doesn't have to have a
    system like man appear instantly 4.5 billion years ago. One only needs
    something small like M. genitalium which has only 480 genes. There very
    well might be an even smaller possible organism. Thus, the target is big,
    much bigger than the hype of ID allows."

    -This is part of your carefully placed wager. Someone who disagrees with
    you will cite several other articles, perhaps showing the impossibility of
    RNA being a stable biomolecule synthesized by any "chemical soup."
    Regardless (I don't want to argue this at length because it is tangiential),
    the work you cite supports your position, it does not prove it. If so, the
    debate would be over.

    "J: The problem you have is that you are, discussing these issues on a
    purely philosophical, theological, and mathematical (and gobbledygook)
    level.

    G: In case you haven't noticed, Dembski claims mathematics is part of ID.
    Thus it is absolutely fair game to go after him there. He also used
    philosophy (very poorly I might add after that comment of his that water was
    a property) and he uses theology in his articles. So, yes, I have been
    speaking along those lines. But then, so is the person whose work I am
    criticising right now. That makes it appropriate."

    -Certaintly, but a good strawman technique is to argue about a particular
    component of someone's claim completely divorced from the entirety of their
    argument, and then show how wrong that one component is when applied to a
    context not intended within the original argument.

    "Always being interested in knowing where I might be wrong, exactly what do
    you think is 'gobbledygook'? Please be specific. Answers like 'everything
    you say' are not helpful.. If you present good evidence that I am wrong, I
    will listen and then thank you."

    Glenn, my entire email reply was involved in answering the following
    question:

    "Which of the sequences:

    woxianzhegetuyiyang
    xianwotuyiyangzhege
    amhuinnsuidhe
    dallenbaloch
    thaancumorachthaancatbeag
    ciamarathasibh

    is designed?

    Your *sequences* are gobbledygook, and your argument is valid for
    unspecified sequences (I was not trying to suggest that everything you say
    is bananas, as you have done toward others.) However, your argument is
    demonstrating the limits of application for the ID analysis, not the
    complete futility of it.

    "By admitting that the issue is 'unsolved' aren't you admitting that ID
    really hasn't proven its case???? After all, if ID could determine design
    through specificity, the issue wouldn't be 'unsolved', now would it?"

    -Yes, I don't ever remember claiming that ID has proved its case. To remind
    you, my definition of "bananas" was: "credible hypothesis useful in
    describing natural and perhaps unnatural phenomena." I never said proof
    either in discussing things with you, Howard, or whomever! I've even said
    to Howard that even if ID is comletely wrong, they will be useful as far as
    pointing us to areas of our understanding that require better explanation.
    This is a long way off from defending the "proof" of ID.

    "And I am not entirely a sideline observer to this issue, see Simons and
    Morton, 2003 "The Gene-Orientation Structure of Eukaryotes," Journal of
    Theoretical Biology, 222:4:471-475."

    -I can't see the link at home, you'll have to give me time to review it,
    thanks for the reference.

    "The interesting thing we have found during the work towards that article
    was that higher level organisms have a higher level of randimization in
    their gene structure. This will be outlined in Morton and Simons, "Random
    Worms", PSCF Sept 2003"

    -Sounds interesting. Looking forward to your article.

    "We already see the general solution, from Szotak, Joyce and others but ID
    doesn't ever discuss the significance of that work to their issue. It is
    simply wishful thinking to know think this debate will go away--ever. It is
    fundamentally unknowable and that is why it will never be settled."

    RNA molecules with function are a loooooong way off from generating the
    proteome or even the ORFeome if you will (perhaps Wayne will have some
    comments here since I learned that he is working on predicting the three
    dimensional structure of RNAs.) Promising leads do not constitute a general
    solution, but then this particular subset of our discussion clearly reveals
    our personal biases and shows why we tend toward different sides of the
    debate. Maybe if I was more "optimistic" using Terry Gray's description of
    Behe's position from personal communication at the ASA meeting, I'd see
    things your way more. I must be a hopeless pessimist (although in my mind,
    I surely must be a REALIST.)