Re: The Aphenomenon of Abiogenesis

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 14:47:48 EDT

    Josh,
    You quoted Dembski as writing:
    Specified complexity is a property that things can possess or fail to
    possess. Yet in what sense is specified complexity a property? Properties

    come in different varieties. There are objective properties that obtain
    irrespective of who attributes them. Water is such a property. There are
    also subjective properties that depend crucially on who attributes them.
    Beauty is such a property. To be sure, beauty may not be entirely in the
    eye
    of the beholder (there may be objective aspects to it). But beauty cannot

    make do without the eye of some beholder.

    I'd be much more impressed if water were a property. It is a rather a
    substance which has properties. Had he referred to mass, he'd have made
    sense. We normally measure mass via weight, which involves a
    gravitational field. But mass is more fundamental than weight. Most of
    the rest of the citation seems to me remarkably close to /ad
    ignorantiam/. I boil it down to: Because scientists do not have a full
    series of steps demonstrating the evolutionary development of the
    flagellum, it originated /de novo/ by the intervention of an intelligent
    designer.

    I'm not up on the literature, but my guess is that there is growing
    evidence for some aspects of flagellar development. But this is ignored
    by IDers. I recall the earlier claim that the bombardier beetle
    exemplified irreducible complexity. I also recall a report that steps
    toward the explosive apparatus have been found in other living species.
    Sequence would be difficult to impossible to demonstrate in fossil
    remains. The gaps consistently keep getting smaller, and fewer. Looks to
    me as though Dembski has to pin his faith on the fact that an asymptote
    never quite merges, but always leaves a gap.
    Dave