Re: The Aphenomenon of Abiogenesis

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 20:58:01 EDT

    Having read "The Design Inference", I would say that design
    detection in nature would depend largely on _the way_ that God
    actually interacts with nature.

    For example, some intellegent race of beings may have the desire
    to be known by other intellegent life in the universe, so perhaps
    they might chose to broadcast a regular repeated pattern over a
    wave band that is carefully chosen to minimize attenuation over
    the long distances of space. Likewise, from what little I have heard
    of criminal investigation, criminals often leave behind various
    "signatures" that help make them increasingly identifiable by the
    police. Card games have very well defined probabilities, and so
    game parlors would tend to have ways to detect when a person
    is probably cheating.

    It seems that ID would work best if there is a clear objective to
    either gain something, or to be known. So if for some reason,
    aliens don't want to be known, they would use methods of stelth
    in as much as they could. (Note, I am not writing this to suggest
    _why_ SETI has been unsucessful in finding intelligent life).

    But what about God's character? Does God insist on displaying his
    "Intel inside" on every production unit (made by Heaven & Sons, Ltd.)?
    So a key point in the intelligent design model is that the "designer" wants
    to be plainly known. If for some reason, God is not interested in
    being known to this extent or doesn't care to display this clearly
    human attribute, it does seem like this will greatly reduce the
    likelihood that we can use a model like Dembski's design inference
    to detect God's action in the world.

    So by Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne