Re: a few responses lumped together (Jim and Burgy take note)

From: bob_miller (bob_miller@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 17:22:04 EST

    Gordon Fee discusses the difficulty with arsenokoitai being translated
    homosexual, in his commentary on 1 Corinthians but rejects Boswell's
    conclusion. He states that the word appears in a list heavily weighted
    toward sexual sins and "Although one can not be certain, it is very likely
    that the NIV is moving toward a proper understanding by translating 'male
    prostitute' and 'homosexual offender,' with the proviso that 'male
    prostitute' most likely denotes a consenting homosexual youth."

    Strong's Lexicon gives "one who lies with a male as with a female."

    Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Sematic Domains gives, "male
    homosexual, one who takes the active male role in homosexual intercourse."

    New American Standard Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Dictionaries gives, "a
    sodomite, homosexual"

    George Lamsa's translation gives "...men who lie with men."

    A Translator's Handbook on Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians, Paul
    Ellingworth and Howard Halton gives, " Sexual perverts (RSV) translates two
    Greek words which refer respectively to the 'passive and active partners ...
    in male homosexual relations.' (Barrett)."

    Bob Miller