Re: By Design (was Re: Numbers)

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 16:28:32 EST

    Again, the essence of all "proofs" is the sufficiency of persuasive.
    That intrinsically introduces a subjective element since our individual
    criteria for "sufficiently persuasive" vary all over the map. Even
    "rigorous" mathematical proofs are, for example, subject to one's
    acceptance of the starting assumptions, and in these days even the most
    basic of assumptions in mathematics are subject to review and even
    reframing. So it is not surprising that what may be sufficient to
    constitute convincing proof for one of us may not satisfy another who
    per force applies a different set of criteria.

    With that, I favor the flavor of the amended Burgy-statement. JimA