Re: personal revelations

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 21:52:40 EST

    >>Basic agreement on both points but I think you overstate both a bit.
            1) I think few preachers who use the modern Jonah, the proof of Joshua's
    long
    day &c are "lying" in the sense that they know the claims to be false but
    use them
    anyway. >>

    I agree. The way I wrote it sounds as if I was dissing preachers. I was
    thinking more of the "nice little stories that float around the internet and
    appear in some pubs. Yet I have heard more than my share of "good stories"
    from the pulpit too -- and often presented as factual. It is a bad habit
    shared by too many. I've probably done it myself. The story is so good the
    teller wants it to be true, and turns off his skepticism.

            2) I'm not sure just what "logical error" you mean in Mt's geneaology.

    14+14+14=42

    But there are but 41 generations listed there.

    Yes, I've read the ad hoc explanations. They are not persuasive.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com