Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 12:49:55 EST

    Bob: In your excellent post of 1/22 you said: "Whether one can make such an
    argument regarding homosexual behavior remains to be demonstrated, it seems
    to me, though I would be glad to learn if anyone has attempted it."

    A responsible reference arguing that homosexual acts (not orientation) are
    always wrong is THE BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUAL PRACTICE, by Robert Gagnon, 2001. A
    fundamentalist friend of mine recommended it. I studied this book last year.
    While I found it flawed in some ways, it is the best attempt I have found
    (so far) to make that case.

    For someone who has the non-negotiable position that all HA are ALWAYS
    wrong, and finds deductive reasoning sufficient to defend that position,
    this book will provide that defense. For one such as myself who finds
    inductive reasoning more useful, it will fall short.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com