RE: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 12:42:13 EST

    Moorad wrote: "Regarding your statement that choice is not a causative agent
    in homosexuals, I should like to quote to you what you quoted to me: "That's
    a claim, of course. And it is that claim which is in question. ...Stating
    the claim without addressing the issue is simply stating an opinion. As
    such, simply not interesting." I ask you then, why is your opinion more
    valuable than mine?"

    Whether my opinion is "more valuable" is not what I wrote. What I have said
    is that my claim is grounded in study and that the materials for that study
    (both sides) are available for anyone to read on my web site. A claim is
    "interesting" (IMHO) only when there are rational grounds for it that can be
    examined, evaluated and argued. You choose to equate "valuable" with
    "interesting;" I do not. Velikoovsky's claims, and, yes, even the claims of
    ICR, are "interesting," but not "valuable" (because they can be so easily
    refuted).

    Suppose a high school senior comes up to you and I at a seminar and asserts
    a claim that the earth is < 10,000 years old. If he says nothing else, we
    would both probably ignore him. Suppose he says this is true based on
    Morris's argument from the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Both you and I would
    observe that the 2nd law does not apply in that argument. Our claims would
    be both interesting and valuable because we have studied the issue. The high
    schooler's claim would be neither because he had not studied anything but an
    ICR book.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com