Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 12:28:57 EST

    I had written: "I have commented before on the rather silly concept of a
    "scientific proof."

    rich responded: "I came to this list because you were all Christians and
    scientists. How can one dialog scientifically with the above?"

    Perhaps by asking what I mean, and why I used the word "silly" to describe a
    concept.

    Science works by induction (mostly). The game of science is to think up
    models, usually math models, which describe observational data and suggest
    future research which will either support those models ar falsify them.

    In no case that I know about does science "prove" anything. Models become
    more and more supported over time, of course, until they are often referred
    to as "facts." But even "facts" are subject to being disproven at some
    future time.

    Scientific laws are descriptive, not prescriptive.

    Does that help?

    Rich also wrote (in part): "...many gays attend my church. We don't talk
    about one another's sins. We just build community."

    That's certainly one goal of a church fellowship. What church (denomination)
    are you?

    "The suggestion that I am intolerant or hateful because I hold this position
    is absolutely ridiculous."

    I don't know that anyone suggested this, much less said it overtly.

    "Gays should defer to those who carry the full weight of the Cross. That is
    not intolerant or hateful. That is logical and appropriate."

    I am sorry. I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you mean that some of
    our fellow Christians are second class members? I hope not.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com