Re: Calvinistic Epistemology

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 11:23:22 EST

    Hi Terry:

    I saved the post (below) of yours from Dec 19th because I had to think about
    it. Thanks for the insight.

    What I have difficulty with is, I think, perhaps a fundamental difference of
    worldview -- between me and Van Til -- probably between you and me. It has
    to do with "truth." I guess I am a Platonist, regarding the caves parable of
    Plato as a metaphor for the worldview that we never perceive reality
    directly, but only its shadows. Thus, in the text you posted, where it reads
    "Science has been
    >very successful in explaining many aspects of our world, ... ." I would
    >replace the word "explaining" with "making theoretical models." Those
    >models are, to some extent (depending on the discipline -- se Casti's
    >book), successful in both explaining observational data in terms of their
    >mathematics, and making predictions about data we might observe in future
    >experiments, but are not to be considered synonomous with reality -- they
    >are always subject to future change.

    Thus, I'd argue that no human being, Christian or not, can ever have "true"
    knowledge of cows, chickens, or quantum mechanics. Etc. So when you
    (paraphrasing Van Til) write: "Thus, only believers, who by the grace of God
    confess the true God, can have true knowledge, ... ." he errs big time.

    Somehow I think we can both agree that this area (worldview) is fundamental.

    Regards

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com