RE: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 12:35:17 EST

    Moorad, instead of accepting my challenge to you to do some tough studying
    (yes -- it is tough -- I came to my present position from yours only after
    burning a lot of midnight oil, reading both sides of the issue, etc.) you
    instead tossed off the following:

    "I believe Jesus does address the issue of homosexuality in Mark 10:6-8
    “But from the beginning of creation, God MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE. FOR
    THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER, AND THE TWO SHALL
    BECOME ONE FLESH; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.” Jesus
    certainly defines what Christian marriage is. So much for homosexual
    marriages!"

    No need to shout. Jesus likely did not when he said that.

    To say "Jesus defined what Christian marriage is" from those verses is quite
    a stretch. The fundementalist "proof text" approach almost never works,
    except perhaps to a biblical literalist.

    I accept that heterosexual marriages are both a norm and a desired goal.
    What I do not accept (because scripture does not ask me to accept) is that
    homosexual unions are necessarily a sin.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com