Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: sheila-mcginty@geotec.net
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 12:42:36 EST

    You are right in that I was mixing homosexuality with homosexual acts. The
    Bible does not clearly state that homosexuality is wrong. The Bible does,
    however, clearly state that homosexual acts are wrong:

    Leviticus 20:13 says, "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a
    woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to
    death; their blood shall be upon them."

    This is not my "interpretation" but the Word of God - true and infallible.
    The Word of God says nothing about a "committed" relationship or marriage, it
    simply says that the acts are wrong.

    Another comment suggested that Jesus' silence on the subject meant that He
    also believed homosexual acts were wrong. Jesus Christ was not exactly silent
    on the subject because He said that He did not come to add or subtract from
    the law but to fulfill the law; therefore, the law still stands.

    As Christians, we understand the grace of God through Jesus Christ but the law
    itself has not changed. Homosexual acts are a sin. Homosexuality may or may
    not be a sin but lust in the heart is a sin - heterosexual or homosexual. We
    must guard our hearts and minds against sexual immorality, lust, evil desires,
    impurity, and greed because these are idolatry (Colossians).

    Sheila

    Quoting John Burgeson <burgythree@hotmail.com>:

    > Hi Sheila:
    >
    > I was with you until you wrote: "The Bible clearly states that
    > homosexuality
    > is wrong; therefore, I believe it is wrong."
    >
    > The plain fact is that some Christians, not all of them gay, do not
    > interpret the scriptures that way. So you might try this wording: "The
    > Bible
    > clearly states, as I interpret it, that homosexuality is wrong;
    > therefore, I
    > believe it is wrong."
    >
    > You are also using the word "homosexuality" to mean "homosexual acts,"
    > and
    > the usual meaning of the word means an orientation. That is, a
    > homosexual
    > person may choose to not perform same sex intimacy. Of course, scripture
    >
    > does not speak of homosexuality (the orientation) but only of certain
    > proscribed homosexual acts.
    >
    > The argument is, of course, that the Bible is silent on homosexual acts
    >
    > which take place in a same-sex two person domestic household -- in a
    > relationship that would be "marriage" if the two persons were male &
    > female.
    > Acts outside of this scene are, of course, proscribed.
    >
    > John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    > www.burgy.50megs.com

    Sheila McGinty
    sheila-mcginty@geotec.net

    This mail sent through GeoTEC Webmail: webmail.geotec.net