Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 18:16:08 EST

    Thanks for the reply, Michael. A few comments:

    >>Usual questions - has it been proved that homosexuality is innate?
    Behaviours (correct spelling) are made up of innate, chosen and acquired
    aspects. I write on the hoof and use the word acquired to mean both learned
    and habitual behaviour. It is not always easy to decide whether behaviour is
    one or the other or a mixture.>>

    This was not the thrust of Roy's essay, but it is, as you say, the "usual"
    question. At least one of the usual questions.

    Of course the answer is "no," and will always be "no" for science does not
    "prove" anything. What has been shown rather clearly is that the claim that
    homosexual orientation is always a "chosen" tendency has been disproven. You
    and I, Michael, did not "choose" our heterosexual orientation, we acquired
    it either by nature or by nurture. Likewise, my homosexual friends did not
    "choose," but found themselves to be simply different from the norm.

    >>The question is whether homosexuality is right or wrong. And to a Chrsitan
    >>what the bible actually teaches. One cannot get round what Paul says.>>

    Yes," to all three statements. I discuss all this at some length on my web
    site, and give link references to those who argue as you do. The key
    question is, of course, what DOES the Bible actually teach in this respect.
    And what DOES Paul say in Romans 1.

    If I were convinced that homosexual acts were, in every case, contrary to
    God's will, then I'd have to agree to condemn them. I am not so convinced;
    indeed, after some study (over 10 years) of the issues I have changed my
    views on the subject, which were then much as yours are now, to those
    expressed on my web site.

    >>To say David and Jonathan were actually gay is pathetic and cannot be
    justified from any intelligent reading of the text. The latest English and
    Anglican suuggestion is that the centurion whose slave was healed had a
    homosexual relationship with him.>>

    I would not use the word "pathetic," but I do agree that the case for both
    of these is very weak. At least as far as I've read about them. But don't
    get caught up in those arguments as the thrust of Roy's essay. Roy is a
    fellow Christian -- pleading with you and others who see his behaviour as
    sinful to dialog with civility and with sensitivity. I happen to think
    that's prety important.

    >>One aspect I am sick of is the constant implication that one is homophobic
    >>if one considers homosexuality to be morally wrong. It prevents any
    >>reasonable and considerate discussion - at least in the Church of England.
    >>Things will probably get more polarised with Rowan Williams obfuscating
    >>style of theological and moral discourse.>>

    I agree with you. I think Roy would also agree with you. Roy's point (and
    mine) is that it takes an effort to make a "reasonable and considerate
    discussion" possible. And that is the thrust of his essay.

    Don't know anything about a "Rowan Williams," so I cannot comment on that
    part of your post.

    >>I can't say that I am surprised by Roy clements essay but it fails to
    convince.>>

    As I said when I posted it -- it did not have that as a goal.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com

    http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup