Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: JLR173rdNY@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 18:11:51 EST

    If a lurker might ask a question relative to the post which said relative to
    homosexual behavior:

    >You don't breed. The purpose of life is to live and to create more life. A
    >population that pursues 100% gays is doomed. That would be the end of
    >Biblical history.
    >I'm sorry. I'm squarely behind reproducing couples.

    My son just did confirmation class (and is being confirmed next Sunday) and I
    checked the PCUSA catechism and found:

    >Question 1. What is God's purpose for your life?

    >God wills that I should live by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, for the
    love of God, >and in the communion of the Holy Spirit.

    Ummm, I thought some variation on that was present in most catechisms, but I
    could be wrong. And I'll readily admit I could be misunderstanding the
    point. But I don't see how the purpose of HUMAN life can ever be expressed
    without reference to God.

    However, if the statement is correct, that does that say that my friends who,
    after they found out that they could not have children, adopted one little
    girl taken from her family for abuse - and then took her sister as well to
    keep the girls together - have no purpose in life since as a couple they
    cannot reproduce? Should they have tried some of the more radical methods to
    have a child? Should they have divorced and which ever could have children,
    remarry, so as to reproduce? Is adoption an unacceptable alternative and the
    lives of infertile men and women without purpose? Admittedly, I've used one
    couple as an example, but the father in this case was a coworker and was one
    of those people who helped me figure out what it meant to be a Christian, in
    part by his willingness to parent children who desperately needed parenting.

    Janet Rice
    Back to lurking