Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 12:55:39 EST

    I dont why it should be so quaint if the writer is english!

    Usual questions - has it been proved that homosexuality is innate?
    Behaviours (correct spelling) are made up of innate, chosen and acquired
    aspects. I write on the hoof and use the word acquired to mean both learned
    and habitual behaviour. It is not always easy to decide whether behaviour is
    one or the other or a mixture.

    The question is whether homosexuality is right or wrong. And to a Chrsitan
    what the bible actually teaches. One cannot get round what Paul says.

    To say David and Jonathan were actually gay is pathetic and cannot be
    justified from any intelligent reading of the text. The latest English and
    Anglican suuggestion is that the centurion whose slave was healed had a
    homosexual relationship with him.

    One aspect I am sick of is the constant implication that one is homophobic
    if one considers homosexuality to be morally wrong. I t prevents any
    reasonable and considerate discussion - at least in the Church of England.
    Things will probably get more polarised with Rowan Williams obfuscating
    style of theological and moral discourse.

    I can't say that I am surprised by Roy clements essay but it fails to
    convince.

    Michael