RE: Creativity query

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 18:43:58 EDT

    Right you are, George. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings' is a great example of
    this, as is Ray Bradbury's fiction. I would say, though, that they
    presuppose a Christian world view, rather than say, a Dawkinsian world view.
    For those who don't know what I am talking about, here's Dawkins:

    In a universe of blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people
    are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't
    find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe we observe has
    precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design,
    no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.
    As that unhappy poet A. E. Houseman put it:
    For Nature, heartless, witless Nature Will neither know nor care.
    DNA neither knows nor cares. DNA just is. And we dance to its music.

    Both LOR and Bradbury reject that world view without talking explicitly
    about the cross or (George's favorite :-) the Rapture