Re: Noahic Covenant

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 22:52:52 EDT

    Hi Vernon you wrote:

    >Thanks for your response. Just one thing - the 'first sentence' I
    >was referring
    >to was
    >
    >"The true nature and extent of the Flood can hardly be downplayed as a
    >"non-essential" matter for the Christian because our correct reading of
    >earth history rests largely upon this one event - as I'm sure you must
    >agree."
    >
    >Do you agree?

    No. I don't agree. I think it would be helpful in advancing the
    gospel message if we all understood the Flood as a local event. I
    believe we can do the work of Jesus Christ and help more followers
    find their way into God's kingdom by removing the stumbling stones
    which the notion of a global flood in the absence of any
    substantiating evidence has become.

    There is significant corroborating historical and physical evidence
    to support a local flood. Nothing supports a global flood. I
    believe the weight of OT biblical narrative also falls on a local
    flood. Nephilim (Gen. 6:4, Num. 13:33) on both sides, Emims,
    Anakims, and Zamzummims (Deut. 2:10,11,20,21) that do not appear to
    have descended from Noah's sons, for example.

    Whether someone perceives the flood as local or global, however, is
    not essential for salvation in my opinion. So I do not consider
    being correct on this issue a hallmark of one's Christianity.

    On the other hand, I think Christians should feel an obligation to
    get their facts right Dogmatic assertions, intransigence,
    obstructionism, and an unwillingness to accept what should be quite
    obvious have no place in Christian apologetics.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orislol.com
    ěThe Answer we should have known about 150 years agoî