Re: deception in perception

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 23:34:50 EDT

    George is correct that many current scholars do not use the name Lucifer =
    for Satan.

    cf from the Amplified Bible:

    Isaiah 14:12
    How have you fallen from heaven, O [The Hebrew for this =
    expression--"light-bringer" or "shining one"--is translated "Lucifer" in =
    The Latin Vulgate, and is thus translated in the King James Version. But =
    because of the association of that name with Satan, it is not now used =
    in this and other translations. Some students feel that the application =
    of the name Lucifer to Satan, in spite of the long and confident =
    teaching to that effect, is erroneous. The application of the name to =
    Satan has existed since the third century A.D., and is based on the =
    supposition that Luke 10:18 is an explanation of Isa. 14:12, which many =
    authorities believe is not true. "Lucifer," the light-bringer, is the =
    Latin equivalent of the Greek word "Phosphoros," which is used as a =
    title of Christ in II Pet. 1:19 and corresponds to the name "radiant and =
    brilliant Morning Star" in Rev. 22:16, a name Jesus called Himself. This =
    passage here in Isa. 14:13 clearly applies to the king of Babylon.] =
    light-bringer and daystar, son of the morning! How you have been cut =
    down to the ground, you who weakened and laid low the nations [O =
    blasphemous, satanic king of Babylon!]=20

    Jay

    ----- Original Message -----=20