RE: deception in perception

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 22:36:13 EDT

    Jay Willingham wrote: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 6:10 AM

    >"(A)rgumentum ad biblia". I like that.
    >
    >I do not regard your, Dave, or Glenn's positions as anything other than
    >arguable interpretations. You seem to regard them as irrefutable and get
    >downright testy if your dogma is challenged.

    This statement just begs that someone ask you how you view logic itself. Is
    logic not the sine qua non of all knowledge, including theological
    knowledge? Is logic only a troublesome thing one can discard, streaking
    naked through life in the ecstasy of illogic? Logic requires that what you
    apply to your opponent can be applied to you. Have you not learned that in
    law courts?

    I have a real question. Have you ever actually taken a logic course--I mean
    a full semester dose of syllogisms, Venn diagrams and the many logical
    fallacies? David is a philosopher who would have taught the stuff, I did
    grad work in philosophy where I took Logic, Symbolic Logice,and Logic and
    the Scientific method etc. What you have commited is an advocation of an ad
    hoc hypotheses, (i.e., the Devil fools everyone on Earth except me). Logic
    isn't dogma, it is fundamental.

    >I am not condemning you and am sorry if you got that impression.

    I didn't get the impression you were condemning me. I thought you were
    being excessively illogical, which may be oxymoronic, for how can one be
    moderately illogical? It is like being moderately pregnant.

    personal stories of struggle