Re: deception in perception

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 22:53:19 EDT

    Instead of an "argumentum ad hominem" we have an "argumentum ad diabolum"
    here. The logic is just as fallacious, as Dave and Glenn have pointed out.
    So is pulling selected verses out of their biblical contexts and, by making
    them to mean whatever you want them to mean, using them to justify your
    position and condemn your opponents. Perhaps we could call this the
    "argumentum ad biblia," or "dueling verses." Diana Eck once referred to
    "ammunition belts full of Bible verses"--a good image.

    Bob Schneider