my last reply to Burgy

From: robert rogland (robert.rogland@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 23:07:56 EDT

    I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner; I'm on jury duty through the end of =
    the week.

    This is my response to Burgy's post of July 20, in which he asks me to =
    answer at least two of six questions he poses re: Deut. 21:10-14. Burgy =
    considers these verses to be proof positive that we ought to consider =
    these verses (and any others that don't suit our innate moral =
    sensibilities) as the response of "inspired" men but not as representing =
    the mind or will of God. This e-mail exchange has gone on too long. I =
    give my answer below, but do not intend to continue the back-and-forth =
    exchange of opinions. Burgy certainly will not change his mind, and I =
    imagine the subscribers to this list are heartily tired of hearing his =
    views and mine batted back and forth like a tennis ball. So, this is my =
    last word on this topic. Burgy may have the last word if he wishes; I =
    imagine he does.

    Burgy's questions:

    1. "The Bible is, many say, a book of ethics. Is there any person here =
    who would say that the advice above outght to be given today to our =
    soldiers who fight abroad? If not, why not?"

    My answer: I can't speak for others-there may be some who would affirm =
    that, but I certainly do not, as Burgy correctly surmises. There are =
    several reasons why that command - it is not merely advice, but a =
    command to those who are attracted to a female captive - should not be =
    followed today. In the first place, Israel was a holy nation, God's own =
    people constituted as a theocratic state. In spite of the claims of =
    some Christian patriots, no nation, including our own, can be considered =
    God's own people. In the second place, as I and several others have =
    pointed out (apparently without sufficient clarity or persuasiveness), =
    these commands should be viewed as an accommodation to the hardness of =
    heart of the Israelites, like the commands regulating and ameliorating =
    divorce and slavery. Jesus stated the principle with respect to =
    divorce, but it is legitimate to extend it to other areas as the New =
    Testament does, explicitly or implicitly. The Israelite captor was not =
    permitted to rape the woman on the spot (a common practice in war time =
    up to the present time). Indeed, he was to marry her the same way he =
    would marry any other woman. Let's not forget that women had little or =
    no say in any marriage in those days. Leah, Rachel, Abigail, and most =
    other women whose marriages are mentioned in the OT seem to have had no =
    choice in the matter. Rebekah and Samson's wife had, apparently, some =
    choice - at least the right of refusal, it seem. I am not at all saying =
    this was a good thing, but it was the normal state of affairs. The =
    erstwhile groom, or perhaps more often his father, dealt with the father =
    of the future bride. This practice still goes on in much of the world. =
    Since the captive woman's parents had been slain (another issue), there =
    was no one to speak for the woman. Again, this was not a practice that =
    took the woman into account, and we rightly consider it sub-Christian =
    (for the woman's right to make a choice see I Cor. 7:39). But Deut. =
    21:10-14 gives the captive woman the same choices (i.e., none) and the =
    same rights as an Israelite woman entering into marriage.

    4. "As I understand your position, you would not preach the above, but =
    you WOULD preach that these were God's Words for those days and that =
    therefore women WERE property in those days and that God not only =
    condoned that but commanded it and that the soldiers of that day WERE to =
    follow those instructions and that God approved of their actions. Do I =
    understand you corrrectly?"

    My answer: No, you do not understand me correctly. Women were not the =
    property of men as far as God was concerned, then or now. Genesis 3:16 =
    states that a husband would rule over his wife, but that is a =
    consequence of sin. None of the consequences of sin enumerated in =
    Genesis 3 are good things; they are bad things. They are bound to =
    occur, but Scripture uniformly presents them as bad things. Again, what =
    God commanded was a limitation, amelioration, and regulation of the =
    behavior of the victorious Israelite soldiers. The history of warfare =
    up till the present day shows that the unrestrained behavior of soldiers =
    towards the enemy's women is normally far worse than the scenario in =
    Deut. 21:10-14. I have no doubt that not a few Israelite warriors =
    chafed under the command that they could only have sexual relations with =
    a captive enemy woman if they were prepared to marry her and treat her =
    like an Israelite wife; probably not a few decided it was not worth it =
    and left the women captives alone.=20

    5. "The advice given above assumes that women are property. Is this an =
    ethical stance anyone here would take today? Should women be regarded =
    as property? If not, why not? Does God (today) regard women as second =
    class persons? Did he so regard them at the time Moses made this =
    speech?"

    My answer: You are wrong; the advice does not assume that women are =
    property. See the answer to 4, above. As for second-class persons, =
    Galatians 3:28 answers that well enough. The OT makes the same point as =
    well. To be sure, for the most part the fortunes of women were bound up =
    with those of their husbands, but let's remember that when Joshua was =
    allotting the land of Canaan to the tribes and clans of Israel, he made =
    sure that the daughters of Zelophehad received an inheritance (Josh. =
    17:3-4). =20

    6. "The advice given above says to a young man that it is OK to capture =
    a young woman, forcibly rape her, and then, if she does not satisfy, =
    turn her loose. Your position is that God approved of this, at least at =
    that time. I assume you do not think it would be approved (by God) =
    today. When did he change his mind?"

    My answer: Your characterization of the scenario in Deut 21:10-14 misses =
    the mark entirely. Others have dealt with the question of whether the =
    man would "forcibly rape" the woman by doing this. I view it as a =
    forced marriage rather than a rape, and believe there is a difference; =
    others may disagree. Forced marriages are a bad thing, like slavery and =
    divorce, but an unwilling wife has the same legal rights as a willing =
    wife. In Deut. 21:10-14 we find God writing those rights into law. =
    And, as Paul Seely (I think) pointed out, most female captives would =
    probably have viewed a forced marriage with the legal rights of a wife =
    as better than any of the alternatives. Not the life they would have =
    chosen prior to war, but the best life available given the defeat of her =
    people. Again we have here a case of accommodation to the hardness of =
    heart of the Israelites, who were just as sinful as you and I. =20

    That's enough, I think. Again, I don't believe prolonging this exchange =
    would be interesting or profitable to anyone and will not do so. Of =
    course, Burgy, should you come out with some other outrageous ideas I =
    will feel free to respond to them, and trust you will do the same with =
    me. Iron does sharpen iron, and I think that the exchange has been =
    useful up to this point. The last word is yours.

    Bob Rogland

          =20
    =20

    ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C23284.A2EE6700

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>

    http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner; =
    I'm on jury=20
    duty through the end of the week.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This is my response to Burgy's post =
    of July 20,=20
    in which he asks me to answer at least two of six questions he poses re: =
    Deut.=20
    21:10-14.&nbsp; Burgy considers these verses to be proof positive that =
    we ought=20
    to consider these verses (and any others that don't suit our innate =
    moral=20
    sensibilities) as the response of &quot;inspired&quot; men but not as=20
    representing the mind or will of God.&nbsp; This e-mail exchange has =
    gone on too=20
    long.&nbsp; I give my answer below, but do not intend to continue the=20
    back-and-forth exchange of opinions.&nbsp; Burgy certainly will not =
    change his=20
    mind, and I imagine the subscribers to this list are heartily tired of =
    hearing=20
    his views and mine batted back and forth like a tennis ball.&nbsp; So, =
    this is=20
    my last word on this topic.&nbsp; Burgy may have the last word if he =
    wishes; I=20
    imagine he does.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Burgy's questions:</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>1. &quot;The Bible is, many say, a =
    book of=20
    ethics.&nbsp; Is there any person here who would say that the advice =
    above=20
    outght to be given today to our soldiers who fight abroad?&nbsp; If not, =
    why=20
    not?&quot;</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My answer: I can't speak for =
    others-there may be=20
    some who would affirm that, but I certainly do not, as Burgy correctly=20
    surmises.&nbsp; There are several reasons why that command - it is not =
    merely=20
    advice, but a command to those who are attracted to a female captive - =
    should=20
    not be followed today.&nbsp; In the first place, Israel was a holy =
    nation, God's=20
    own people constituted as a theocratic state.&nbsp; In spite of the =
    claims of=20
    some Christian patriots, no nation, including our own, can be considered =
    God's=20
    own people.&nbsp; In the second place, as I and several others have =
    pointed out=20
    (apparently without sufficient clarity or persuasiveness), these =
    commands should=20
    be viewed as an accommodation to the hardness of heart of the =
    Israelites, like=20
    the commands regulating and ameliorating divorce and slavery.&nbsp; =
    Jesus stated=20
    the principle with respect to divorce, but it is legitimate to extend it =
    to=20
    other areas as the New Testament does, explicitly or implicitly.&nbsp; =
    The=20
    Israelite captor was not permitted to rape the woman on the spot (a =
    common=20
    practice in war time up to the present time).&nbsp; Indeed, he was to =
    marry her=20
    the same way he would marry any other woman.&nbsp; Let's not forget that =
    women=20
    had little or no say in any marriage in those days.&nbsp; Leah, Rachel, =
    Abigail,=20
    and most other women whose marriages are mentioned in the OT seem to =
    have had no=20
    choice in the matter.&nbsp; Rebekah and Samson's wife had, apparently, =
    some=20
    choice - at least the right of refusal, it seem.&nbsp; I am not at all =
    saying=20
    this was a good thing, but it was the normal state of affairs.&nbsp; The =

    erstwhile groom, or perhaps more often his father, dealt with the father =
    of the=20
    future bride.&nbsp; This practice still goes on in much of the world. =
    Since the=20
    captive woman's parents had been slain (another issue), there was no one =
    to=20
    speak for the woman.&nbsp; Again, this was not a practice that took the =
    woman=20
    into account, and we rightly consider it sub-Christian (for the woman's =
    right to=20
    make a choice see I Cor. 7:39).&nbsp; But Deut. 21:10-14 gives the =
    captive woman=20
    the same choices (i.e., none) and the same rights as an Israelite woman =
    entering=20
    into marriage.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>4.&nbsp; &quot;As I understand your =
    position,=20
    you would not preach the above, but you WOULD preach that these were =
    God's Words=20
    for those days and that therefore women WERE property in those days and =
    that God=20
    not only condoned that but commanded it and that the soldiers of that =
    day WERE=20
    to follow those instructions and that God approved of their =
    actions.&nbsp; Do I=20
    understand you corrrectly?&quot;</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My answer: No, you do not understand =
    me=20
    correctly.&nbsp; Women were not the property of men as far as God was =
    concerned,=20
    then or now.&nbsp; Genesis 3:16 states that a husband would rule over =
    his wife,=20
    but that is a consequence of sin.&nbsp; None of the consequences of sin=20
    enumerated in Genesis 3 are good things; they are bad things.&nbsp; They =
    are=20
    bound to occur, but Scripture uniformly presents them as bad =
    things.&nbsp;=20
    Again, what God commanded was a limitation, amelioration, and regulation =
    of the=20
    behavior of the victorious Israelite soldiers.&nbsp; The history of =
    warfare up=20
    till the present day shows that the unrestrained behavior of soldiers =
    towards=20
    the enemy's women is normally far worse than the scenario in Deut.=20
    21:10-14.&nbsp; I have no doubt that not a few Israelite warriors chafed =
    under=20
    the command that they could only have sexual relations with a captive =
    enemy=20
    woman if they were prepared to marry her and treat her like an Israelite =
    wife;=20
    probably not a few decided it was not worth it and left the women =
    captives=20
    alone. </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>5.&nbsp; &quot;The advice given =
    above assumes=20
    that women are property.&nbsp; Is this an ethical stance anyone here =
    would take=20
    today?&nbsp; Should women be regarded as property?&nbsp; If not, why =
    not?&nbsp;=20
    Does God (today) regard women as second class persons?&nbsp; Did he so =
    regard=20
    them at the time Moses made this speech?&quot;</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My answer: You are wrong; the advice =
    does not=20
    assume that women are property.&nbsp; See the answer to 4, above. As for =

    second-class persons, Galatians 3:28 answers that well enough.&nbsp; The =
    OT=20
    makes the same point as well. To be sure, for the most part the fortunes =
    of=20
    women were bound up with those of their husbands, but let's remember =
    that when=20
    Joshua was allotting the land of Canaan to the tribes and clans of =
    Israel, he=20
    made sure that the daughters of Zelophehad received an inheritance =
    (Josh.=20
    17:3-4).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>6.&nbsp; &quot;The advice given =
    above says to a=20
    young man that it is OK to capture a young woman, forcibly rape her, and =
    then,=20
    if she does not satisfy, turn her loose.&nbsp; Your position is that God =

    approved of this, at least at that time.&nbsp; I assume you do not think =
    it=20
    would be approved (by God) today.&nbsp; When did he change his=20
    mind?&quot;</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My answer: Your characterization of =
    the scenario=20
    in Deut 21:10-14 misses the mark entirely.&nbsp; Others have dealt with =
    the=20
    question of whether the man would &quot;forcibly rape&quot; the woman by =
    doing=20
    this.&nbsp; I view it as a forced marriage rather than a rape, and =
    believe there=20
    is a difference; others may disagree.&nbsp; Forced marriages are a bad =
    thing,=20
    like slavery and divorce, but an unwilling wife has the same legal =
    rights as a=20
    willing wife.&nbsp; In Deut. 21:10-14 we find God writing those rights =
    into=20
    law.&nbsp; And, as Paul Seely (I think) pointed out, most female =
    captives would=20
    probably have viewed a forced marriage with the legal rights of a wife =
    as better=20
    than any of the alternatives.&nbsp; Not the life they would have chosen =
    prior to=20
    war, but the best life available given the defeat of her people.&nbsp; =
    Again we=20
    have here a case of accommodation to the hardness of heart of the =
    Israelites,=20
    who were just as sinful as you and I.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>That's enough, I think.&nbsp; Again, =
    I don't=20
    believe prolonging this exchange would be interesting or profitable to =
    anyone=20
    and will not do so.&nbsp; Of course, Burgy, should you come out with =
    some other=20
    outrageous ideas I will feel free to respond to them, and trust you will =
    do the=20
    same with me.&nbsp; Iron does sharpen iron, and I think that the =
    exchange has=20
    been useful up to this point.&nbsp; The last word is yours.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Bob Rogland</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2> <BR> =
    <BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C23284.A2EE6700--