Re: Comment's on Allens postings

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 15:12:52 EDT

    At 12:40 AM 18/07/02 -0600, Terry M. Gray wrote:

    >The "consensus of modern theological scholars" has argued that
    >"body/soul monism" is the Biblical (Hebrew) view. This has fit in
    >nicely with the reductionistic and emergentistic psychological views
    >that see mind/soul as a function of body/brain. Interestingly, the
    >Dooyeweeerd/Vollenhovan school of Reformed theology has also held
    >this view (contrary to the historical Reformed confessional view).

    As a pupil of Vollenhoven and having signed the reformed confessions more
    than once, maybe that contrary is a bit too strongly expressed. To go in
    detail here would take too much time and also too much detail. However,
    one cannot talk about these things without studying in detail the words in
    the original Hebrew and Greek texts, which are translated by "soul". I
    have pointed out in the past some of these places. Also, one must study
    the philosophy which is used. In most cases it will be traced back to
    Greek philosophy, where the idea of duality in man originated.
    I gave up talking about these subjects on this forum as the arguments about
    philosophy, biblical Hebrew, and Greek philosophy were never answered to my
    knowledge, though I admit when I get up to 140 postings a day I do not read
    everything. Some of the postings about numbers in the early bible were
    superficially answered, but in general I did not get the sense that people
    read what I said.

    Jan de K.