RE: Comment's on Allens postings

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 14:58:31 EDT

    Hello Allen,

    When read in context, from the beginning of chapter Acts 17, Luke
    records that Paul reasoned with the Thessalonica Jews from Scriptures
    (Acts 17:2), explaining and proving that the Christ had to suffer
    (Acts 17:3). Why did he have to do that for a crowd who was most
    probably knowledgeable about the OT? Because there was a gap between
    what the OT recorded and what Paul taught, which is that the Christ
    who had to suffer and rise again is Jesus (Acts 17:3). Paul was
    explaining an OT teaching with a post-Resurrection understanding.
    Hence, the Jews of Thessalonica were not arguing about the veracity
    of the OT, but about Paul's *interpretation* of it. When Paul arrived
    at Berea, he did the same, which was to go to the synagogue to teach
    his new interpretation. Of course the Bereans examined the Scriptures
    because Paul reasoned with them from Scriptures, but offered a new
    interpretation of the messiah. As a result of Paul's teaching, the
    Bereans accepted the new interpretation. The!
      Bereans were considered noble, not because they examined the
    Scriptures carefully (although it was a praiseworthy behavior), but
    primarily because they accepted Paul's teaching that Jesus is the
    Christ of the OT ("...in that they receive the word with all
    readiness of mind and searched the scriptures daily..."KJV). Yes,
    Paul had to show that his new teaching was consistent with OT
    prophecies, but the point is that Paul's teaching is a new
    revelation, and the Bereans were more noble because more of them
    accepted the new teaching than the Thessolonians.

    Tradition, the handing down of knowledge (i.e. Paul's new teaching
    that Jesus is the Christ), was exercised in this case, together with
    the examination of Scripture.

    Adrian.