Re: Comment's on Allens postings

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 18:38:31 EDT

    On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Allen Roy wrote:

    > What was the Biblical reason for the Sabbath? To point to the fact that God
    > is our creator (Ex. 20:10). The Sabbath is a weekly celebration of the
    > Creation. There is no evidence in the Bible that the Sabbath was to become
    > instead a celebration of the resurrection. It sounds nice, but it has no
    > Biblical basis. The story of how "the church" changed the Sabbath from a
    > celebration of creation to a celebration of the resurrection is complex.
    > The book, "From Sabbath, to Sunday" by Samuel Bacciochi, (his doctoral
    > thesis acquired from the university at the Vatican (I can't remember the
    > name right now), and holding the imprimatur) tells a very detailed and
    > compelling story. But basically it comes down to the fact such a change is
    > not authorized by the Bible. It happened out of connivance and pragmatism.

    There are a couple of other reasons for the Sabbath, both pertaining
    specifically to Israel. (See Exodus 31:13 and Deuteronomy 5:15). The New
    Testament does not tell us when to worship, although there are clues that
    the early Christians worshipped on the first day of the week. From Romans
    14:5,6 we learn that there were some who regarded one day above another
    and others who regarded every day alike. Each was supposed to accept the
    other. I am pleased that we don't have to be legalistic about this matter.
    Otherwise I would be concerned about whether or not the guys who drew the
    International Date Line got it right.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado