RE: Adam from Dust

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 23:16:17 EDT

    Stuart Kirkley added:
    Sender: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu

    >Perhaps Dick would like to contemplate what the Psalmist was
    >considering when he wrote Psalm 8: 'What is man... and the son of
    >man...For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast
    >crowned him with glory and honour...'

    Please don't confuse me with the Bible answer man. When I venture
    past Genesis 12, I encounter the same prickles everyone else does.
    This is what I said in my book:

    The phrase "son of man" appears in both the Old and New Testaments.
    It can be perplexing when 'adam is translated as "man," especially
    when a word for generic man or mankind was used in the original, 'ish
    in Hebrew or 'enash in Aramaic. Psalm 8:4 is a case in point: "What
    is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou
    visitest him?" How are men different from sons of men? Why the
    redundancy? Aren't all men sons of men? Yes, but not all men are
    sons of Adam! God is "mindful" of "man" ('ish), but it is the sons
    of Adam ('adam) that He visits." This verse reflects the special
    relationship Israel enjoyed.

    >The Psalmist seemed to have a higher idea of God's man than what you
    >have presented here. Is this not the man of Genesis 1:26-28, whom
    >God saw, and behold, was found to be very good.

    Yes, I believe it is. "God's man," I believe, was Adam.

    >Is this not the man which the Psalmist again refers to when he
    >exhorts us to uphold in our thought in Ps 37:37 " Mark the perfect
    >man and behold the
    >upright: for the end of that man is peace'.

    I think the meaning here is in light of what goes before:

    Psalm 37:35-36: "I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading
    himself like a green bay tree. Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was
    not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found."

    The psalmist, David, is comparing righteous men as against the unrighteous.

    >>You may think that there were humans worthy of salvation earlier than
    >>God thought so. But I trust in God's timing. And if you don't like
    >>God's timing, you are stuck with it anyway. Probably the only reason
    >>I find comfort in God's timing is because I have had a longer period
    >>of time to think about it. Sure I have questions. Why did God
    >>create Satan or the rest of the heavenly host that fell to earth in
    >>Satan's rebellion against God? Why not snuff them all out Ananias
    >>and Sapphira style? (Acts 5:1-5).
    >>
    >>The fact is that His ways are higher, and His thought are higher, and
    >>we aren't privy, except that He has made a book available to us, and
    >>through the Holy Spirit, there are those who He may communicate with
    >>as it pleasures Him. But there seems to be a few things He doesn't
    >>bother to tell us outright. However, if we have submitted ourselves
    >>to Jesus Christ and have questions, search His Word, are willing to
    >>be taught, have a humble attitude, and do an honest search, we may be
    >>rewarded.
    >
    >Well said, but in referring to what I wrote above, and in
    >consideration of what you have written here, it could only do you
    >good to consider again what the Psalmist meant. The writer of Hebrews
    >had a pretty good handle on this issue and gives a very good
    >summation in Hebrews 2: 6-18.

    Amen.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"
    --=====================_985031==_.ALT

    Stuart Kirkley added:<br><br>
    contemplate what the Psalmist was <br>
    considering when he wrote Psalm 8: 'What is man... and the son of <br>
    man...For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast
    crowned him with glory and honour...'</blockquote><br>
    Please don't confuse me with the Bible answer man.&nbsp; When I venture
    past Genesis 12, I encounter the same prickles everyone else does.&nbsp;
    This is what I said in my book:<br><br>
    in both the Old and New Testaments.&nbsp; It can be perplexing when
    <i>'adam</i> is translated as &quot;man,&quot; especially when a word for
    generic man or mankind was used in the original, <i>'ish</i> in Hebrew or
    <i>'enash</i> in Aramaic.&nbsp; Psalm 8:4 is a case in point: &quot;What
    is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou
    visitest him?&quot;&nbsp; How are men different from sons of men?&nbsp;
    Why the redundancy?&nbsp; Aren't all men sons of men?&nbsp; Yes, but not
    all men are sons of Adam!&nbsp; God is &quot;mindful&quot; of
    that He visits.&quot;&nbsp; This verse reflects the special relationship
    Israel enjoyed.<br><br>
    a higher idea of God's man than what you <br>
    have presented here. Is this not the man of Genesis 1:26-28,&nbsp; whom
    God saw, and behold, was found to be very good.</blockquote><br>
    Yes, I believe it is.&nbsp; &quot;God's man,&quot; I believe, was
    Adam.<br><br>
    Psalmist again refers to when he exhorts us to uphold in our thought in
    Ps 37:37 &quot; Mark the perfect man and behold the <br>
    upright: for the end of that man is peace'. </blockquote><br>
    I think the meaning here is in light of what goes before:<br><br>
    Psalm 37:35-36: &quot;I have seen the wicked in great power, and
    spreading himself like a green bay tree. Yet he passed away, and, lo, he
    was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.&quot;<br><br>
    The psalmist, David, is comparing righteous men as against the
    unrighteous.<br><br>
    humans worthy of salvation earlier than<br>
    &gt;God thought so.&nbsp; But I trust in God's timing.&nbsp; And if you
    don't like<br>
    &gt;God's timing, you are stuck with it anyway.&nbsp; Probably the only
    reason<br>
    &gt;I find comfort in God's timing is because I have had a longer
    period<br>
    &gt;of time to think about it.&nbsp; Sure I have questions.&nbsp; Why did
    God<br>
    &gt;create Satan or the rest of the heavenly host that fell to earth
    in<br>
    &gt;Satan's rebellion against God?&nbsp; Why not snuff them all out
    Ananias<br>
    &gt;and Sapphira style? (Acts 5:1-5).<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt;The fact is that His ways are higher, and His thought are higher,
    and<br>
    &gt;we aren't privy, except that He has made a book available to us,
    and<br>
    &gt;through the Holy Spirit, there are those who He may communicate
    with<br>
    &gt;as it pleasures Him.&nbsp; But there seems to be a few things He
    doesn't<br>
    &gt;bother to tell us outright.&nbsp; However, if we have submitted
    ourselves<br>
    &gt;to Jesus Christ and have questions, search His Word, are willing
    to<br>
    &gt;be taught, have a humble attitude, and do an honest search, we may
    be<br>
    &gt;rewarded.<br><br>
    Well said, but in referring to what I wrote above, and in <br>
    consideration of what you have written here, it could only do you <br>
    good to consider again what the Psalmist meant. The writer of Hebrews
    had a pretty good handle on this issue and gives a very good <br>
    summation in Hebrews 2: 6-18.</blockquote><br>
    Amen.<br><br>
    Dick Fischer - <i>The Origins Solution</i> -
    </u></font>&quot;The answer we should have known about 150 years
    ago&quot; </html>