Re: Challenge #2

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 18:27:09 EDT

    Bob,

    As soon as I hit the send button, I knew that this question would
    come up. I am not interested in state laws, but in the Biblical
    perspective. It seems to me that consent in sexual relations is an
    implication of the marriage covenant. Don't get me wrong
    here--spousal abuse is possible and to be abhorred (and prosecuted
    both in the church and by the state). Also, the call to husbands to
    love their wives and treat them well is also noted.

    But wives are obligated to have sexual relations with their husbands;
    it's part of the terms of the marriage covenant. One of the antidotes
    to sexual immorality found in 1 Cor. 7:3-5 speaks to the
    "requirement" of sexual relations in marriage:

    "The husband should fulfil his marital duty to his wife, and likewise
    the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone
    but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not
    belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other
    except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote
    yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not
    tempt you because of your lack of self-control."

    So...back to the point. When a Israelite man took one of the captives
    to be his wife, a marriage covenant was entered into that included
    the legitimacy of sexual relations--hence, we're not talking about
    rape here. God's law does not command rape. We may be talking about
    marrage customs that are quite distant from our own, but we are
    talking about marriage here and not promiscuous "rape and ravage"
    conquest.

    TG

    --