Re: justified & sinner (Was Re: Inerrancy)

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 15:43:44 EDT

    George,

    Reformed folk are happy and proud to stand on the shoulders of
    Luther. I, for one, am saddened that Melancthon and others couldn't
    pull everyone together. And, yes, I agree with respect to the origin
    of "simul justus et peccator". Indeed, I attribute it to Luther when
    I have taught on the subject.

    Just wanted to make sure that you weren't putting too big of a wedge
    between Reformed and Lutheran on this point. And I thought that
    making the distinction between extent and degree of depravity was a
    useful contribution to help Burgy to understand Jan's Calvinism. But
    I do agree with you concerning your point about what the term conveys
    to non-experts. We keep using it because it makes such a nice
    acronym. (Although sometimes I switch the acronym from TULIP to
    TUDIP--using a two dip ice cream cone as my icon--and switch the term
    "limited atonement" to "definite atonement" for exactly the reasons
    you mention.)

    BTW I occasionally listen to "The White Horse Inn"
    (http://www.alliancenet.org/radio/whi/whi.html ) a radio program
    hosted by the Reformed theologian/pastor Michael Horton who has a
    Lutheran theologian/pastor Ron Rosenbladt on his panel. With the
    exception of a few "extreme" Lutheran perspectives on the sacraments,
    I find myself agreeing with everything he says. I'm not in the Horton
    camp on everything, I must admit, but I do find them a helpful
    corrective to much of modern evangelicalism, especially with respect
    to Word and Sacrament, the centrality of the cross, Law / Gospel
    preaching, and the importance of the doctrine of justification by
    faith. (I guess all emphases that both Reformed and Lutherans can
    wholeheartedly embrace.)

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523