Re: Understanding Prophecy (was Re: Daniel)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 14:34:40 EDT

    MikeSatterlee@cs.com wrote:

    > Hello George,
    >
    > You wrote: That _some_ of the words attributed to Jesus in the gospels were
    > creations of the gospel writers is quite clear.
    >
    > I don't think that is clear at all. Simply because some of Christ's words are
    > quoted differently in one gospel account than they are in another does not
    > mean that those differences were created by the gospel writers. One writer
    > may be reporting some of the words Christ spoke and another gospel writer may
    > be quoting some others. For instance, Matthew may have only reported Christ's
    > reference to "the abomination that causes desolation spoken of through the
    > prophet Daniel" and not reported his also equating it with the Roman armies
    > which would surround Jerusalem, while Luke may have reported Christ's
    > speaking only the other half of the equation.

             So Jesus actually said (in Aramaic) -
             "But so when you see the desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet
    Daniel, standing in the holy place, set up where it ought not to be, [and] when
    you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near.
    ... " (I assume that "let the reader understand" is editorial,
    though I suppose
    some people think it should be in red letters.)
             Actually there is no reason at all to think that Jesus said all of this
    unless one has the notion that the evangelists were like selective court
    reporters. The result in this case is not as grotesque as similar
    "harmonizations" with other texts but is sufficiently awkward to make an open
    minded person wonder about the attempt.
             & of course you have to continue the same thing through the whole
    discourse. So to Mk.13:18 you have to add "or on a sabbath" from Mt.24:20, &
    then in the next verse from Mt. you have to add "which God created"
    from the next
    verse of Mk. & it gets more complicated when you mix in Lk.
             This - not the Bible or Jesus' words or those of the
    evangelists but the
    proposed method of harmonization - is absurd.

             To speak more positively: It's not hard to see that Luke, having a
    version of Mark as one of his sources, has toned down the language somewhat:
    "abomination" is dropped but "desolating" is carried over into "its desolation"
    (eremoseos & eremosis). & this is consistent with the fact that throughout
    Luke-Acts a relatively friendly attitude is shown toward Rome.
             & this brings out another reason why naive historical harmonization
    doesn't work. When Mt or Lk modify the words attributed to Jesus in Mk, they
    often do it in ways that are characteristic of that particular
    evangelist. This
    shows that they were not simply reporting words from some other source, for in
    that case the characteristic Matthean or Lucan diction wouldn't appear. Robert
    H. Gundry, _Matthew: A Commentary on his Literary and Theological Art_
    (Eerdmans, 1982) is a very detailed treatment of Mt which devotes a lot of
    attention to this point.

    > You wrote: it's extremely unlikely that the entire Book of Daniel was written
    > by a Jew of the 6th century B.C. ... The gospel writers, probably a couple
    > of hundred years after the composition of Daniel ...
    >
    > You've told me where you are coming from. From the schools of higher
    > criticism.

            Is it satisfying to you to be able to put me in a box with a scary name?
            The term "higher criticism" is a bit antiquated, partly because most
    biblical scholars today, including conservatives, make use of some aspects of
    what used to be called "higher criticism". They try to understand
    biblical texts
    in the historical, social &c context in which they developed, were written,
    edited, and transmitted. I.e., they take history seriously and
    recognize that we
    can't assume that the Bible is a collection of timelessly true
    propositions which
    can be read in the same way today as they could 2000 or 3000 years ago.
            Use of the historical-critical method does NOT mean that one has to make
    further assumptions about the Bible such as that the Bible is no different from
    any other ancient literature, that it is not authoritative for our
    theology, that
    the boundaries of the canon need not be respected, or that accounts
    of miraculous
    events can be rejected _a priori_.

    > The book of Daniel clearly claims to have been written by Daniel
    > himself from beginning to end. The words "I, Daniel" and other such claims of
    > authorship can be found in every part of the book, from beginning to end. If
    > it was not then the Bible is not a book which can be trusted.

             One aspect of taking the historical context of the book
    seriously is that
    we have to ask how pseudonymity was regarded in the cultures in which the book
    was written and read.

    > If it is not,
    > how can we believe it when it tells us God raised Jesus Christ from the dead?

             This tired tactic is simply a bogeyman to keep people from studying the
    matter with open minds. If it's true, why do I say that I believe that "On the
    third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures" every Sunday? Why
    would a theologian like Pannenberg, who (I suspect) wouldn't touch
    the idea that
    a 6th century Daniel wrote the whole Book of Daniel with a ten meter
    pole, devote
    a good deal of scholarly effort to critical arguments affirming belief in the
    resurrection of Jesus?

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/
    "The Science-Theology Interface"

    --------------DE3A394F11AA91148074CEE3

    &nbsp;
    were
    words are
    not
    writer
    writer may
    Christ's
    the
    armies
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So Jesus actually said (in Aramaic)
    -
    desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy
    place, set up where it ought not to be, [and] when you see Jerusalem surrounded
    by armies, then know that its desolation is near. ... "&nbsp; (I assume
    that "let the reader understand" is editorial, though I suppose some people
    think it should be in red letters.)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    at all to think that Jesus said all of this unless one has the notion that
    the evangelists were like selective court reporters.&nbsp; The result in
    this case is not as grotesque as similar "harmonizations" with other texts
    but is sufficiently awkward to make an open minded person wonder about
    the attempt.
    to continue the same thing through the whole discourse.&nbsp; So to Mk.13:18
    you have to add "or on a sabbath" from Mt.24:20, &amp; then in the next
    verse from Mt. you have to add "which God created" from the next verse
    of Mk.&nbsp; &amp; it gets more complicated when you mix in Lk.
    Jesus' words or those of the evangelists but the proposed method of
    harmonization
    - is absurd.
    It's not hard to see that Luke, having a version of Mark as one of his
    sources, has toned down the language somewhat:&nbsp; "abomination" is dropped
    but "desolating" is carried over into "its desolation" (<i>eremoseos </i>&amp;
    <i>eremosis</i>).&nbsp; &amp; this is consistent with the fact that throughout
    Luke-Acts a relatively friendly attitude is shown toward Rome.
    reason why naive historical harmonization doesn't work.&nbsp; When Mt or
    Lk modify the words attributed to Jesus in Mk, they often do it in ways
    that are characteristic of that particular evangelist.&nbsp; This shows
    that they were not simply reporting words from some other source, for in
    that case the characteristic Matthean or Lucan diction wouldn't appear.&nbsp;
    Robert H. Gundry, _Matthew:&nbsp; A Commentary on his Literary and Theological
    Art_ (Eerdmans, 1982) is a very detailed treatment of Mt which devotes
    a lot of attention to this point.&nbsp;
    Book of Daniel was written
    probably a couple
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is it satisfying to you to be able
    to put me in a box with a scary name?
    a bit antiquated, partly because most biblical scholars today, including
    conservatives, make use of some aspects of what used to be called "higher
    criticism".&nbsp; They try to understand biblical texts in the historical,
    social &amp;c context in which they developed, were written, edited, and
    transmitted.&nbsp; I.e., they take history seriously and recognize that
    we can't assume that the Bible is a collection of timelessly true propositions
    which can be read in the same way today as they could 2000 or 3000 years
    ago.
    method does NOT mean that one has to make further assumptions about the
    Bible such as that the Bible is no different from any other ancient literature,
    that it is not authoritative for our theology, that the boundaries of the
    canon need not be respected, or that accounts of miraculous events can
    be rejected _a priori_.
    by Daniel
    claims of
    end. If
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; One aspect of taking the historical
    context of the book seriously is that we have to ask how pseudonymity was
    regarded in the cultures in which the book was written and read.
    the dead?</blockquote>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This tired tactic is simply
    a bogeyman to keep people from studying the matter with open minds.&nbsp;
    If it's true, why do I say that I believe that "On the third day he rose
    again in accordance with the Scriptures" every Sunday?&nbsp; Why would
    a theologian like Pannenberg, who (I suspect) wouldn't touch the idea that
    a 6th century Daniel wrote the whole Book of Daniel with a ten meter pole,
    devote a good deal of scholarly effort to critical arguments affirming
    belief in the resurrection of Jesus?&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Shalom,
    George

    --------------DE3A394F11AA91148074CEE3--