Re: History of 6000 Year old creation

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 05:53:08 EDT

    The weakness of John Fuller's article is that he is stuck on a totlaly
    literal view of Genesis before 1790s and ignores those who say God first
    created chaos and then reordered everyrthing in 6 days (poss longer than 24
    hourss) In particular are all the Theories of the Earth from 1660. What I
    find fascinating how the slightly longer timescale of the theorists of the
    17th century grew in the 18th century finally allowing vast geological ages
    to be absorbed into an interpretation which kept to 6 "days" either by a
    long-day or by a proto-gap theory with the following 6 days which may be
    longer than 24 hours.
    I read Fuller last week and thought he had got it wrong by not being able to
    get out of a 6 day mentality.He needs to ask whether his dates from 17 and
    18 century are the date of creation, the date of re-ordering or the creation
    of man. I will have to look agian at Fuller to make further comment but I
    was in a library looking at 18 cent material pointing to a vastly older age.
    I cannot think of more than a handful of writers from 1670 who took a
    staight 4000-5500BC approach out of several hundred I have looked at.

    Michael